Monday, April 23, 2007

Monday April 23rd - TODAY it begins!



After 2 years of dreaming and 5 months of design and details, construction began with a big digger in our front yard. My parents and I watched from inside the house, as big machines meticulously picked apart our walkway like it had been built with graham crackers. Inches from our glass door that machine came - we pulled crawling baby Elie back from the door. Mercia watched for 20 minutes, then decided PBS was more interesting. I wished Carter & Aliya had stayed home from school!

So many people contributing to this day: Contractor, Superintendant, Dig Guy, Dump Truck Operator, etc, etc. All there with a smile and anticipation of an exciting end result. As several of them gathered on the driveway to watch the digging (do we pay them all by the hour?!), some remarked how "So far this is too easy!" Could it be the favor of God? Could it all go this smoothly?

By 1pm, the old garden area was now a hole deeper than Mercia is tall. And then everyone was gone. My kids came home delighted with the port-a-potty in the driveway. Neighbor kids came to look a the "big hole" and then got shooed home - that big dirt pile is no place to play! I'll be singing that song all summer long.





So Happy Birthday to me! Yesterday I turned 35, and my parents drove 500 miles to be here. Today they witnessed the ground breaking of our new addition. And the icing on the cake... Eliana took her first steps tonight. And soon she'll have more room to run! 922 square feet more, to be exact.












1 comment:

Rae said...

Wooha! Welcome to the world of blogging! Fun, fun! I'd say welcome to the world of renovating too, but I've never been there!

Happy Birthday!
Rae

PS--Watch out for that first step--it's a doozy!