Friday, July 13, 2007

The Carpet Miracle

The first week of July, our carpet finally arrived. It was touch and go for awhile, since I chose the carpet during a May sale and we weren't sure if it was still available. It was an incredible deal thru Home Depot ($14/yd installed), so I was glad to know the order went thru. Trouble was, they have a policy of not scheduling carpet installation until the carpet actually arrived. Since May I've been saying "Carpet must be installed July 9-10!" No problem they say, until now I find out they are booked 2 weeks out! I let them know, politely, that they policy was not very cooperative with new construction. But I got off the phone and prayed "Lord, you've brought us this far - I know we won't be sitting here for 2 weeks waiting for carpet!"

Sure enough, the installers called Friday and asked to install the carpet Sat July 7th, the day before the kids got home. I said "Heck, yeah!" Steve spent all day Friday finishing Pergo in Carter's room and I wallpapered the wainscoting in Aliya's room. The hardwood floors were finished Friday too. Mind you, we had NO air conditioning, and it was 105+ degrees those few days. Upstairs was over 100 degrees, and we had no electricity hooked up for lights or fans. It was a labor of love.
Saturday morning, the carpet was in! We also got new carpet in the den, it was trashed after just 8 years of kid traffic. It is SO soft, it's like walking on a pillow!


The kids came home to carpeted rooms, and by the end of the week the began sleeping upstairs. The A/C was installed and running July 11th, and we've been slowly moving things upstairs since then.

So for me, that was the beginning of the end of this project!

No comments: